Friday, June 14, 2013

Fort Fisher & Aquarium NC- 3 Feb 2013

We were so close to Fort Fisher in North Carolina  after our visit to Moores Creek NB we pointed the ole truck in that direction.  Our belly's were starting to scream at us so once we made it to Carolina Beach we pulled over to grab a bite to eat at an Irish Pub. Since it has been a few months since our visit and I did not document the name and location it will be hard to figure out where it was we did eat. The only thing I have to say is it was GREAT. Had an home made Irish Stew and Guinness nothing beats this sort of meal.
  After a late lunch we found Fort Fisher a Civil War battle site. To our disappointment the visitor center was closed on the weekends. When I reviewed the website I was sure it was open the day of our visit but upon a review I think I need to get new glasses or something and the website did say it was closed on the day we visited. 
  No problem, there is always something to see so we cast out eyes about, walked around the beach for sea glass and anything else that looked exciting to add to our collection of goodies. Sandee added to her every growing collection of sand samples. We saw a sign for the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher so we drove the mile or so to the site. Looked pretty nice from the outside, we had time so we bought our ticket and strolled on through the doors.  As with most aquariums there are your standard fish to watch going around in circles, all pretty nice. In fact I thought it was better than our local aquarium here in Virginia Beach, VA. But two items made it sort of stand out, the live albino alligator and the massive replica dinosaur shark jaw. We hung out for a long time taking to the volunteers around the alligator, took some pictures and then took Sandee's picture behind the shark's jaw. Sort of a fun thing to do, looks like she is in the jaw of the shark.
  Unfortunately all my pictures from this adventure have been lost when I was transferring them from my old computer to my new one. I think my son might be able to retrieve them from the depths of the computer void, but it will have to wait until he visits.  I do have a couple of pic's from Fort Fisher and Sandee on the beach

though.

No comments:

Post a Comment